Links to some of Helen’s appearances in the media can be found below:
- ‘Nazi exchange trips came to Eton and Harrow, The Third Reich’s Elite Schools reveals’, feature by Jack Blackburn in The Times, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Nazis based their elite schools on top British private schools’, feature by Mark Brown in The Guardian, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Nazis took inspiration from ‘Fuhrer-like’ public school headmasters’, feature by Craig Simpson in The Daily Telegraph, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Revealed: How Britain’s top private schools including Eton, Harrow, Winchester, Westminster and Rugby ran exchange schemes with top German academies to train Hitler’s future Nazi leaders’, feature by Harry Howard in The Daily Mail, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Nazis used UK public schools like Eton and Harrow as ‘model’ for education system’, feature by Jeremy Armstrong in The Mirror, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Nazi Germany’s elite schools held exchanges with likes of Eton, Harrow and Winchester, historian reveals’, Sky News, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Top British schools sent pupils on exchanges to Nazi Germany, historian reveals’, Metro, 17 November 2021.
- ‘Childhood was given a new meaning in European schools’, Sunday Guardian, 2 June 2018.
- ‘Archive video shows Nazi flag flying in Glasgow; Hitler salute in London – but what should we read into it?’, feature by Kiran Moodley in The Independent, 24 July 2015.
- ‘Paris Terror Attacks and Europe’s Refugee Crisis Spark Resurgence of Far-right Groups Across Continent’, Australian News Corporation / news.com.au, 17 November 2015.
- ‘Ask an Academic: Dr Helen Roche on studying the Nazi school system: “Not quite 300 meets the Hitler Youth, but…”’, Cambridge News, 9 September 2015.
- ‘Napola: Britische Privatschulen waren das Vorbild’, Damals, 23 November 2021.
- ‘Die Napola Ilfeld und andere NS-Eliteanstalten in Mitteldeutschland: Nordhausen. Rund 130 interessierte Gäste drängten sich am Montagabend in den Versammlungsraum des Tabakspeichers’ (‘Napola Ilfeld and other elite schools in Central Germany: Nordhausen. On Monday evening, around 130 interested guests crowded into the assembly room of the Tabakspeicher’) Thüringer Allgemeine, 25 October 2016.
- ‘Spartas deutsche Kinder’ (‘Sparta’s German Children’), Neue Nordhäuser Zeitung / nnz-online, 19 October 2016.
- ‘Die NAPOLA Ilfeld und andere Eliteanstalten in Mitteldeutschland: Besuch aus dem Vereinigten Königreich Großbritannien’ (‘NAPOLA Ilfeld and other elite schools in Central Germany: A visit from the United Kingdom of Great Britain’), Nordhäuser Wochenkronik, 7 October 2016.
- ‘Neue Erkenntnisse über Nazi Eliteschulen: Englische Historikerin Helen Roche forscht über Geschichte der Napolas’ (‘New Insights into Nazi Elite-schools: English Historian Helen Roche researches the history of the Napolas’), article by Thomas Fritz in the Leipziger Volkszeitung, 29 September 2014.
Magazine and blog articles:
- ‘Young Nazis: how I uncovered the close ties between British private schools and Hitler’s Germany’, The Conversation, 18 November 2021.
- ‘Exorcising World War I Through Music: Britten’s War Requiem and Rudland’s Christmas Truce’, History Today, 2 December 2015.
- ‘Germany’s Tyranny over Greece? The philhellenist roots of the current financial crisis’, History Today, 26 August 2015.